Friday, August 04, 2006

Growing lithops from seeds

In the end of May I planted some lithops, which I got from succseed. There were 3 types:

Lithops fransisci
Lithops marmorata v. elisae
Lithops schwantesii v. marthae


I dont have any experience with lithops, and I had limited success with these. L. marmorata seems to be most difficult one, with only 3 survivors out of aprox. 15 seeds. The L. fransisci, however, had a germinating rate of around 90%.



The picture shows 3 L. marmorata on the top-left, L. fransisci on bottom-left and L. schwantesii on the right. As you can see, there is some moss growing too which is caused by too much humidity.. it will probably disappear as I will keep it in more dry and ventilated conditions which is ideal for Lihops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob,
you didn''t mention anything about the soil you used for growin from seed, and do you use the same for older plants?
I recently started growing myself so I found your blog very useful.

Bok from Croatia ;)